Monday, September 9, 2013

안녕하세요 - Hello


Who am I ?

I am a Brissie girl who lives in south east Queensland Australia. I am married to the love of my life Mr J. (We got married this year !) I have spend more then 6 years in Korea. I first went to live in Korea in 2002 and started a serious addiction to chili. I speak Korean and LOVE to cook.  I have spent a year in Jeon Ju (전주) surrounded by some of the best cooks in Korea( my next door neighbors).I decided to start this blog because I LOVE food and several of my friends have asked for recipes or how to cook Korean food. I would love to have my own Korean restaurant one day. I would like to share my interest in Korean food and in food generally. I want to make it easy and accessible to everyone.
In my day job I am educationist. 

What does Hanok mean ?

Korean 한옥


Hanok is a Korean word that refers to Korean traditional architecture and houses. While living in Korea I  was enchanted by the beautiful Hanok villages in Andong (안동) and Jeon Ju (전주). I wanted to use traditional Korean recipes that I think really represent Korean food that is cooked in the home. Though I also enjoy making fushion food. Hanok House is a name that  reminds me of the good experiences I had in Korea and the food that I like to cook at home. So I decided to call my blog Hanok House.

What makes me an expert ?

*Nothing. I just like to cook. ( I actually love to eat more!) 

* I won fourth prize in the Korean Culture Center in Sydney with my original Kimchi recipe
(http://www.koreansafari.com.au/content/korean-cooking-contest-sydney-showcases-variety-korean-fusion-cuisine)

* I have had one of my recipes published in LDS Living        (http://ldsliving.com/story/72828-jell-o-contest-recipe-jelly-lamingtons) 


* Living in Korea for more than 6 years I have learnt many authentic cooking techniques and enjoyed       Korean food from one end of the country to the other. 

Interests

* watching other people cook
* growing organic vegetables in pots
* baking 
* reading the Woolworth's and Coles cooking magazines 
* face booking
* watching tv dramas
* walking bare foot on the beach
* star gazing
* eating Thai & Korean food








No comments:

Post a Comment