Monday, September 9, 2013

Korean Culture Cooking Contest

So what better way to kick of my blog but by sharing about an awesome event in Sydney hosted by the Korean Culture Center. (http://koreanculture.org.au/). 

This year they hosted the first  Korean Cooking Contest 2013 in Sydney. The feature ingredient was 
Kimchi. 


Korean 김치




I decided to enter and make a video. I planned out my recipe Zucchini and Kimchi quiches. I had been really busy with work and hadn't had a chance to cook it. So the night before the entry was due I decided to cook my entry. Unfortunately it didn't work. The mix was so sloppy and it tasted all wrong. 
It was like 11 pm at night and I was like what should I do ???? Then I remembered something my mate MF had said..." Why don't you cook Kangaroo and Kimchi pies" at the time I laughed at him. But late at night when your desperate ideas form.

I got out some basic ingredients and looked in the fridge and freezer and came up with some key ingredients and then put it all together to make Chicken and Kimchi Puff Pastry Pies with Tomato and Kimchi Relish.


I finished my entry and sent it in!

My entry photo : Chicken and Kimchi Puff Pastry Pies with Tomato and Kimchi Relish.

 I was selected and I went to Sydney to compete with 15 other contestants. 


I was contestant number 3.


Some of the delicious ingredients on offer to cook with. 

I have to say the competition was great experience! I meet so many interesting and talented people. We had one hour to cook. It went by so quickly. 

These are some photographs from (http://feastingintheknow.com/ ) Wee Lynn Teo who runs 'Feasting in the Know' a unique company offering authentic and personalized food safari tours around Sydney focusing on delicious Asian cuisines. 





This is my entry. My dad made the wooden sign for me.


The entries were amazing !!!!!! So I was totally shocked when I got fourth place the Judge's Special Consolation Award. 


It was a great day and the KCC staff were fantastic! I totally encourage anyone who is interested in Korean Cooking to support this event next year and enter your best Recipe incorporating Korean food!

Here is my video entry ....don't laugh to hard! 

M xx


1 comment:

  1. Love your new blog Jamaenim. Can I get the Tomato and Kimchi relish recipe from you sometime? I've almost finished the jar you gave me. I can't see a link to your video. Would love to see it

    ReplyDelete